GUIDELINES FOR SUBMISSIONS
$50 First Prize, $30 Second Prize, $20 Third Prize
Open to San Diego County Residents Between the Ages of 10 and 13
(There is no entry fee for Kids Write)
Kids Write is a short story contest. That means your story must be fiction–not a true story–and have a beginning, middle, and end.
- Your story submitted for SDBA Kids Write may be no more than 1,000 words, must be original, and not previously published.
- Submit four (4) copies of your typed (on one side of the page only), double-spaced manuscript. You may submit only one story for this contest, although you must submit four copies of the story.
- Your name must not appear anywhere on your story. Attach, with a large paper clip, all four copies to the Required Submission Form.
- Type the name of your story and page number at the top of each page, starting with the second page. Do not put a page number on page 1.
- The margins of your story should be 1 inch at the top and bottom and 1-1/4 inch on each side.
- Use white paper only and indent five spaces for each new paragraph.
- Use 12-point Times New Roman, Times, or Courier.
- Do not staple your story or put it in a notebook or bind it in any way. Hold each copy of your story together with a paper clip.
- Required Submission Form: A Required Submission Form must accompany the story you submit, and it must be completed and dated and signed by you and your parent or guardian.
- Mail the Required Submission Form and four (4) copies of your story to Kids/Write, San Diego Book Awards Association, P. O. Box 2723, San Marcos, CA 92079-2723
You must mail it so that it is postmarked no later than March 15, 2013 (deadline extended).
NOTIFICATION OF WINNERS AND AWARDS
Finalists will be notified in advance of the San Diego Book Awards ceremony, which will be held on June 22, 2013. The three top finalists will be honored at the awards ceremony. Each finalist may attend the ceremony with two guests at no charge. At least one of the guests must be a parent or guardian. Winners will be promoted on the SDBAA website: http://www.sdbookawards.com.
Rights: All submissions remain the literary property of the writer.