Unpublished Short Stories
Guidelines for Submissions
Manuscripts submitted for the SDBAA Short Story Category may be up to 5,000 words, must be original, and not previously published.
All entrants shall submit four copies of their manuscript. The writer’s name should not appear anywhere on the work except on the cover page. A cover page including the title of the work, the word count, the writer’s name, address, phone number, and email address (if available) should accompany each submitted manuscript. If you want the judge’s comments sent to you, please include a stamped, self-addressed envelope with sufficient postage.
Writers may submit more than one story, but a separate submission fee and Submission Form must accompany each entry.
The Short Story contest is open to San Diego County residents.
- Standard Word margins – 1” top and bottom, 1/1/4” each side
- Double-space between all lines. Do not double space between paragraphs
- Indent paragraphs five spaces
- White paper only
- 12-point font (Times New Roman, Times, or Courier)
- One-line header on each page: Title and Category on left side, page number on the right side
- Entrant’s name must not appear on any of the pages of the manuscript. Points will be deducted if your name appears on the manuscript pages. Your name may appear only on the submission form and cover page, if any.
- The pages should be held together with a large paper clip or binder clip. Do not staple, put in a notebook, or bind in any way.
Rights: All submissions remain the literary property of the writer.
Number of Copies: Authors must submit four copies of each manuscript.
Submission form: A completed, signed, and dated submission form must accompany each submission.
San Diego Book Awards
P. O. Box 2723
San Marcos, CA 92079-2723
Fee: A nonrefundable submission fee of $15 must accompany each short story submission. Make checks payable to: San Diego Book Awards Association, Inc.
Deadline: All short story manuscripts, submission forms, and fees must be received by January 15, 2013.
Notification: Finalists will be notified in advance of the awards ceremony, which will be held in June 2013. All finalists and category winners will be honored at the awards ceremony. Winners and finalists will be promoted on the SDBAA web site: http://www.sdbookawards.com.